Re: High contrast negatives

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 12/29/00-03:09:23 PM Z

Rick,

BPF200 is a good film, but difficult to raise to the contrast range
needed for the processes you want to use. By far the best success I've
had (looking for somewhat lower range appropriate for Pt/Pd) is with the
ABC+ (also called rollo) Pyro formula in a rotary processor (Jobo).
Extended time in standard MQ developers tends to increase overall
density and base fog with this film, without the desired big increase in
tonal *range*. Same with PMK pyro. Plain ol' D-76 seems the best of the
MQ formulas for extending range with least base fog with this film. In
general your best bet to get really extended range negatives is to go
with a film like TXT or FP4-Plus which feature extremely low base fog
and a long tonal scale expandable by extended development. 2.0+ ranges
are easily achived with MQ developers or PMK pyro. (The advantage of
pyro here is that many of the the negs will still be printable in silver)
---Carl

--
Website with online galleries and workshop information at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cweese/