Split-toning article in Camera Arts

From: Jonathan Bailey (quryhous@midcoast.com)
Date: 12/29/00-05:53:53 PM Z

New Year's Greetings!

Please excuse the cross-list posting.

I would like to bring to your attention an article I've written in the
current issue (Dec/Jan) of CAMERA ARTS magazine.

The article is the first of two about split-toning. While this first half
is non-technical in nature, it provides a solid base of background
information for the formulas and process notes which follow in the Feb/March
issue.

In the current issue I discuss the background and historical antecedents of
modern split-toning - which I take all the way back to the daguerreotype. I
make a distinction in this article between split-effects - the often exotic
coloration seen in many antique images - and the relatively recent
deliberate attempts to achieve those tonal shifts through the use of toners.
I suggest in the article that an appreciation for split-toning springs from
a 19th century sensibility....

While I regret space considerations prevented the inclusion of all the
historical images I sent to illustrate my points, the reproductions include
one of Jerry Spagnoli's beautiful daguerreotypes of New York City (1998) and
a striking bromide print of an oyster and pearl (1900) from the collection
of Richard and Christine Rydell, among others. (Happily, one of my recent
split-toned images is also included).

I hope you seek it out and enjoy it....

Best wishes-

Jonathan Bailey