Re: gum printing without dichromate

From: Sarah Van Keuren (svk@steuber.com)
Date: 12/29/00-08:37:40 PM Z

Dave Rose wrote on Thursday:
> Get rid of the glass, use dichromate, and you'll find your "partial
> successes" will become 'great successes'.

If glass is roughened, as by sandblasting, gum bichromate can be printed on
it with great success. Seth Hutchinson, former student at U Arts, did his
senior thesis in gum on such glass with gorgeous results. He lit them from
behind with skill. This semester a current student, Bridget Pizzo, printed
with success in gum on plexiglass that she roughened with sandpaper.

Regarding plexiglass, years ago we had no luck using it in place of glass
for cliché-verre. Apparently the plexi blocks actinic light. This makes me
think that any kind of plexi would provide more protection for light
sensitive images than glass. It doesn't need to be an expensive kind of
plexi especially coated to withstand UV.

Sarah