Re: First kallitype

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 12/31/00-12:08:40 PM Z

I've just started making prints on Somerset Enhanced Vellum using the
Cone Piezography plugin and inks.

I'm not sure what the archival properties of this combination is, but
my first results looked exactly like very good platinum prints. If you
take a loupe to them they look like platinum prints produced from good
digital negatives. Significantly better than the best Iris prints I've
seen.

I'll be posting a feature including some comments on using this system
in a day or two at http://photography.about.com/, but in short, I think
the claim made by Jon Cone on http://www.piezography.com where he says
it is 'a new medium based on photography that records without
limitations imposed by the short dynamic range of wet process
photography' is worth looking at. Image colour is fixed at the moment
though, and it only works on suitable papers. I've yet to experiment
with suitable 'sizing' - I don't know if others have done so.

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com
London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/
The Buildings of London etc: http://londonphotographs.co.uk/
Also on Fixing Shadows: http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
and elsewhere......

(much snipped)

> Which is to say that as far as I have been able to discover, the
> *difference*, the reason for greater value of pt-pd, is archivality.
(I
> don't address prestige, I mean print "quality.") Toning the kalli may
> take
> care of that, partially.
>
> > Your point was well intended, but it missed the mark. And don't
take
> > this
> > personally, it is not. You would have been better served to have a
> > group of
> > "knowledgable" platinum and kallitypists in a room and show them
ten
> > prints
> > of mixed petigree and ask them to tell you which is which.
>
> And how about a ringer -- one inkjet print (and no loupes allowed)?
New