scanning/ was Re: negative damage

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/01/00-02:17:38 PM Z

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Tom Ferguson wrote:
> ... Many scanners (including mine) have holders that
> elevate the film a few mm above the glass. Unfortunately with large format
> film, the center often sags just enough to get a few rings in the center of
> your picture ;-(

I was wondering if any of you scan experts know if difference in focus
is an issue when elevating/not elevating. For instance I have put slides
in the mount on the scanner bed, also a holder comes with for 4x5s, but
I've also scanned a large negative with no holder directly on the glass...
not noticing focus or Newton problems with any, but not looking for them
either.

I've found that the copy machine seems to have a depth of field so that
small differences (eg a pasted-on cardboard) come in equally sharp. On the
other hand, when I've *scanned* 3-dimensional objects I've found that they
get out of focus within a relatively short distance.

Presumably the scanner is configured to be sharp for opaque copy directly
on the glass and, unless works differently for negatives in holders, has
that amount of leeway, but, as noted it goes off before a great distance
is reached. I also note that I had trouble with a quite curly fiberbased
print until I weighted the scanner cover -- not so much sharpness as I
recall, as tone, which was woozy.....

Any input on these issues gratefully received. (We the damned of scanner
hell need any help we can get... And PS to faithful friends & readers:
The THIRD scanner replacement was also defective !)

PS to Tom: Beseler I believe has a glassless negative holder that grabs a
large-format negative with pins of some sort around the edges and holds it
tight. It's fairly thick, but I wonder if something of the sort could be
configured to hold your large neg flat.

Judy