Re: Liquid Light

From: garimo (omirag@cruzio.com)
Date: 02/01/00-12:26:35 PM Z

>Hi Everyone-
> I am a newcomer to this list and I have found it very interesting reading
>all of your alternative process info. I have to admitt I was alittle
>intimadated to participate, but I figure what do I have to lose??!
>Anyway, I am working with liquid light and I was wonderin if any of you
>had any pointers or advice on starting out. Thanks so Much. ERIN :-)

Hi Erin,
 A few years ago, I printed liquid light on watercolor paper (the
liquid light split tones with great reds with selenium, check out a
print under a black light! it glows blue)...
 It reacts differently with different papers (make paper tests, to find
the one you're looking for... and L.L. seems to need long exposures.
  Then later I switched to the Luminous emulsion, it was a bit more
contrasty, higher gloss, shorter exposures and seemed to sit more on
the surface rather than soaking in like the liquid light. Not that one
is noticeable better than the other- just different in appearance and
how they function. I think most everything hinges on preference and
choices... Last year I made some paper and printed on it, then sepia
toned the luminous. ya want'a see one? it's at
http://upnatom.com/tree.html It was hard getting the images not to
fog, because the paper is so sponge like, the emulsion soaked in too
deeply... Most recently I purchased a bottle of luminous and it's now
variable contrast. I was trying it on some new paper that I have sized
heavily...didn't much like what turned out, don't know yet if it was
the paper or the new formula... But it did fog on the drying rack from
the yellow color safe light and that hadn't happened before. I could
see the cross pattern of the screen above being exposed on the paper...
my guess is- the next time it needs to dry in the dark!
 It's fun stuff, I hope to do more again...got a bottle in the 'fridge.
 How are your prints going? are you liking your results?
Hope my comments and experiances are somewhat useful...
garimo

P.S. The most useful item that has helped with coating is a little
crock pot I found at a thrift store. It's really small, and works great
for keeping the gelatin warm while coating.