Re: scanning/ was Re: negative damage

From: Les Newcomer (lnphoto@ismi.net)
Date: 02/01/00-04:31:20 PM Z

Judy,

I'm not a computer expert, won't claim to be even when on heavy cold medication
 as
I am now. But you got me to wondering about just how much depth of field my
 scanner
has (HP 4c) So I devised a down and dirty test that I'm sure somebody will
 shoot
down, but here it is.

I took a 16" stainless steel ruler and taped it to the top of the cover of the
scanner. I then placed a 1" wide roll of tape so it fell on the 10" mark. The
ruler now runs on an incline at 1/10" per inch on the ruler. i.e.: the 5 inch
 mark
is .5" off the glass. I scanned it a 400% and then viewed it on my sreen in
 Photo
shop at 100%.

Results: The 0 mark was nice and crisp. The 1" mark had a shadow on it (engraved
ruler reflection) but still looked sharp. the 1.5" mark had lost the distiction
between the shadow and the black mark itself.

Conclusion: My scanner has a rough depth of field of .1 to .15" above the glass.
Beyond that it's a portrait scanner

Les