Negative "damage" solved was negative damage

From: Kathryn Garrison (Kathryn.Garrison@Colorado.EDU)
Date: 02/01/00-05:58:52 PM Z

Update on the negative scanning!
Wow, great suggestions from everybody. Here's what I found out and did:
Thanks for clarifying moire vs newton rings (below is a good summary) and
YES, Wayde was right, I am talking about Newton rings. Just because it
reminds me of taffeta fabric doesn't mean it's moire.

I was ready to try the oil as the scanner cover and bed are cleanable.
But, since that's alarming to the person who's in charge of the scanner, I
tried some other people's options first. Flipping and tilting the negative
only had a slight effect if any.

The negative carrier suggestion from David Clark was the big hit. Now I
have a very nice scan of my negative. I must admit, the fact that there's
never been a problem scanning SLIDES should've clued me in.
Thanks everyone!
Kathryn

At 07:21 AM 2/1/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Moire is the effect of scanning (making digital dots) out of something that
>is already made of regular (patterned) dots (another digital file or printed
>page). Putting oil or plastic sheets will not help moire. If you want to
>see moire, just scan any magazine page with "no filters" set on your
>scanner.
>
>Newton rings is the effect of two glossy surfaces touching / almost
>touching. I'm weak on the physics of this, but oil will solve newton rings.
>In this case the two surfaces are the film and scanner glass. This is
>certainly what Erin is seeing, and most like what the originator of this
>thread (Kathryn) is seeing.

<<snip>>