RE: projection printing Polaroid

From: Christina Z. Anderson (tracez@mcn.net)
Date: 02/05/00-07:00:53 PM Z

You don't need to panic; the expiration date is not that drastic. The older the film gets, the more off-color it can be (greenish) but I've used it past the date with no harm.
     I assume you are talking individual sheets of film? Anyway, you can easily expose it under an enlarger but when it comes to "processing" it, you have to pull it through the rollers of the film back to break the pod of chemicals inside the pack to start the processing process (redundant). Thus I'm not sure there is any way to do it without the film back.
     If you crop the film down, you will open the packet and expose the film to light so that won't work. It seems that your best bet, if you have the 3 x 5 base with the film holder in it that takes pack film, use that and save your polaroid bigger size for when you can borrow someone's 545. Remember, don't freeze the polaroid film to extend its life; it's not like regular film.
Chris

i'm getting ready to do some polaroid transfers (somewhat alt. related,
right?) the film is 4x5 polacolor i believe.. and is dangerously near
expiration so i need to use it fast, but the camera is in the shop for a few
months, i only have a 3x5 daylab base, and to use an enlarger to projection
print i heard i need a #545 polaroid film back?

i've only got a few days left on this film and i don't want to waste it.. is
there anyway to print without the film back? i have an enlarger but i don't
know all the ins and outs of polaroid.. is there anything i could build
myself to hold the film? if worse came to worse could i just crop it down
to feed into the daylab?

does anyone have any ideas, whether experimental or not?

thanks,
emily