Re: gum-Spirts of Salts

From: Andre Fuhrmann (Andre.Fuhrmann@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: 02/07/00-04:37:21 AM Z

>Additionally he makes mention of the tendency for gelatin sized papers to
>print "cooler" and papers sized with arrowroot to print warmer. At least
>with platinum or paladium printing. Can anyone confirm or comment on this as
>well as the effects of sizing with other processes such as Van Dyke Brown or
>Cyanotypes?

With all papers I use for vandyke (Arches, Hahnemuehle, Canson) I have
found that adding a good portion of gum to the sensitizer (roughly 1:1,
thus sizing & sensitizing in one go) greatly increases the tonal scale and
makes for a warmer and more intense brown. I also do this with cyanotypes
but with vandykes the effect is more conspicuous.

Andre