Re: water in the coating mixture

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 02/07/00-08:15:33 AM Z

Lukas Werth wrote:
> Have you found adverse effects from adding water? I ask this because I
> generally add a generous amount of water (coating on Arches Platine).

If the solutions are very strong, there may be a benefit to the addition
of water in that a smoother looking print may be obtained. You may wish
to refer to the section in my Guide (from link below) on Quasi-multi
coating and related studies. The IMPORTANT thing is to coat into a
defined area. An excess of water will dramatically increase the coating
time and will eventually result in abrading or damaging the paper
surface. Using a "generous" amount of water (even on Arches) may not
reach that excess. However, the amount of metal and active sensitizer
MUST be kept at or above the threshold in a defined area (see recent
post.)

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/