Re: Ilford film high fog/film base density

From: Cor Breukel (cor@lumc.nl)
Date: 02/09/00-04:50:15 AM Z

"Dan Smith, Photographer" wrote:

> In developing various Ilford films I find they have a very high film
> base/fog density. With so many using Pyro to get staining I wonder if the
> high base density might act in a similar manner?

Dan, I am not sure what you mean by that last sentence, but when I use
ABC+ (aka Rollo Pyro),
I get very low B+F for FP4+ and acceptable B+F for Arista400 (aka HP5+)
processed in a JOBO. This is judged by eye though.

As a side note: I had considerable problems with freshly mixed A stock
for ABC+, and after off-list discussion with Herald, Carl and Sandy,
this problem seems to be boiling down to let the freshly made "A" stock
for about 1-2 weeks. Using the same film same chemistry (only 2 weeks
older now) gave (by eye) very nicely stained negatives on ARISTA400 4*5
inch.

Another point worth mentioning for people who use ABC+: it seems that
the vitC in the "A" stock can go off during storage (as already was
suggested by Sandy) some time ago, so take care not to mix to much in
advance if you mix it your self.

Cor