Re: Arches platine problems

From: Ray Rogers (earthsoda@yahoo.com)
Date: 02/09/00-09:52:19 AM Z

--- Stefan Örtel <sto@GBF.DE> wrote:
> Hi List,

> !!! Arches papers are only sized on one side!!! This
> sure will explain the
> different results. Normally, Arches paper have a
> watermark somewhere. The sized
> side is the one, where the watermark is readable.
>
> Stefan

Hello every one!

Please allow me put my 2 cents into this arena.
1.
I have noticed that of the 3 ARCHES paper I have
worked extensively with; TOROCHON, FIN, & SATINE, I
have found something very strange. I have never had
any trouble with TOROCHON & FIN: I find them to be
above excellent for my purposes. They produce good
results regardless of which side I coat on, although
as a rule, I do print on the front. With SATINE,
however... Something is different and I find I get
better results on the BACK side of Satine, and even
then, I do not really like those results.

My results may not apply to you and your
sensitizer/emulsion of choice but they are
unmistakable in my own work. The "front" side of
Satine is of a different nature than the
aforementioned types. Among other things, it's surface
is slightly repellent, at least of other gelatinous
coatings. I belive the difference may be in either the
sizing or in the method they use to get the very
smooth surface.

2.
I have seen ARCHES paper being sized in their factory,
and the paper was dipped "U" shape into a huge vat of
a murky tan colored liquid; both sides did indeed
receive size. They make different papers and some
papers may be treated differently from what I saw.

3.
I belive what Stephan described "where the watermark
is readable" is the paper's front side. The back is
the screen side.(Strange I know, but it seems to me
that the label reads correctly on the SCREEN side, in
the case of SATINE! If any paper people are out there,
take a close look, with both reflected and transmitted
light; Am I crazy or did I just get a rare anomaly?)
I would love it if this helps someone or if anyone is
able to support my observations. If not, it doesn't
really matter; I am sure of my results as I keep
meticulous notes...(well, sometimes I just keep
regular notes) and I have gotten rid of (given away)
all of my SATINE stock anyway.

Cheers.