Re: Unsizing Paper

FotoDave@aol.com
Date: 02/09/00-09:57:42 AM Z

> Have you tried simply adding more size on top of the first coat?

Hi Garet,

No, I haven't tried that though it did cross my mind. The idea is that the
extra coat will even out the irregularity coat beneath it, correct? My worry
is that this is for gum and direct carbon process, so I worry that the sizing
might be too thick; but it is worth a try, at least to learn something.

Some of the oldtimers might remember that I have some background and training
in brush painting. Interestingly, in an old manual (more than 100 years if I
remember correctly) about sizing paper (they use animal glue and alum), the
description is to use 3 coats, and "first coat must be light, second coat
full, and third coat very light." I always think of the first coat as the
substrate coat, 2nd coat as the actual coating w/ actual strength required
for sizing, and the 3rd coat as the even-ing (smoothing) coat. I find it
interesting that this is closely related to sizing paper for alt. processes.

In fact, I have tried this 3-coat approach with my gelatin+alum size and it
worked fine too, but later I found that 2 coats works (with one coat I find
that most sheets work but you'll occasionally find a few sheets that stain).
In this particular case since I have a bad (uneven and rough) 1st and 2nd
coat, it might work with a thin 3rd coat for smoothing.

Dave Soemarko

***** See Soemarko's Direct Carbon (SDC) prints at
***** http://hometown.aol.com/fotodave/SDC/