Dates and names in history

From: Campos & Davis Photos (photos@campos-davis.co.uk)
Date: 02/13/00-12:45:48 PM Z

Dear list, these are dates and names of people who I feel are
important to mention in a seminar I am giving. If anyone thinks I am
leaving something out please would you let me know.
Also can someone give me a real definition of what a dichromate is? I
know how to use them but from what substance do they originate? My
text books and dictionary are not that helpful.
Many thanks,

Some important dates in the history of the
Photographic Image

1614 Angelo Sala publishes a pamphlet about his observations noting
that powered silver nitrate would blacken if exposed to sunlight.

1725 Johann Heinrich Schulze, a professor in Bavaria experiments with
silver nitrate. He covered a jar containing the chemical with a paper
stencil, placed it in sunlight and when the stencil was removed the
areas exposed to light had darkened.

1800 Thomas Wedgewood, potter, experiments with using coated material
in a camera obscura but was unsuccessful.

1819 Sir John Fredrick William Herschel (1792-1871) discovers that
hyposulphites dissolve silver salts.

1827 At or before 1827 Joseph Nicephre Niepe (1765-1833) produces the
first photographs with a camera obscura using pewter plates coated
with sensitised bitumen.

1827 Niepe meets Louis Mude Daguerre (1787-1851)

1828 Niepe forms partnetship with Daguerre

1833 Niepe dies but his son Isidore continues the partnership. At
this time they do not have a truly permanent image.

1835 William Henry Fox Talbot (1800-1877) produces a clear picture of
one of the widows at Laycock Abbey, Wiltshire. This was the first
negative.

1837 Daguerre produces a clear permanent image on a copper plate
coated with silver iodide which was developed by mercury vapour fumes.

1839 Sir John Herschel invents a way to sensitise paper and records an
image through his father's telescope making it permanent by the use of
hypo. He recommends the use of hypo to Talbot, Daguerre and others

1839 Sir John Herschel invents a way to coat a glass plate with silver
halides and creates the first glass plate negative makes prints on
paper from the negative.

1840 Sir John Herschel introduces the terms “negative, positive and
emulsion” in describing his processes to the Royal Society. He also
records a natural colour (ie, without dyes or colourants) image of the
spectrum on silver chloride material; fails to make it permanent but
asserts that it someday will be done.

1842 Sir John Herschel invents a process using iron salts which he
names cyanotype because of its blue colour. He uses it to copy notes
and documents thus creating the blueprint.

1853 Sir John Herschel suggests the use of images reduced to
microscopic size to store and preserve documents. (The microfiche
file)

1867 Sits for the last time for Julia Margaret Cameron for the
portrait generally considered to be her towering masterpice.

Richard Davis

Campos & Davis Photos
6 Cranbourne Road
London N10 2BT - UK