RE: mordancage kit

From: Jonathan Bailey (quryhous@midcoast.com)
Date: 02/18/00-04:24:02 PM Z

Greetings,

You wrote:
> Has anyone on the list explored the website that offers a mordancage
> kit? <http://lorase.hypermart.net> I was curious as to it's contents and
> instructions. I've called and emailed several times and have yet to
> receive an answer. Maybe it is scam. It has links to sites that feature
> artists using the mordancage technique. Does anyone know what gives with
> this site?
> Sue Bloom

Interesting....

The links at that page lead to Pierre-Louis Martin - an acquaintance of mine
living in the Loire who is a superb practitioner of this esoteric process.
The links also connect to Eliz Opalenik - and while has a signature style
which utilizes mordancage (she, like Martin, learned the process from Sudre
himself), Opalenik now refuses to teach mordancage in her workshops.

But I am curious about this kit - and am not sure why you'd bother with it:
it would almost have to cost a premium over simply assembling the chemistry
on your own, and the chemistry is pretty minimal.

Please note: what information I can (and have) provided to this list
regarding "mordancage" is most properly referred to as:

Mordancage *as devised by Jean-Pierre SUDRE*

If past postings to this list are any indication, there seems to be other
possible variations of the historic etch/bleach process that may also be
referred to as "mordancage." Sudre's process is performed on a print
*after* normal processing and fixing....

I posted to this list my Mordancage formula and process notes last year.
That information is the same as I use to teach mordancage in my workshops.
If desired, I'd be happy to repost that information to the list, or to
forward them via e-mail to anyone interested in having it.

Judy may well be correct that copper sulfate works as well as the copper
chloride indicated in Sudre's formula - but as only 10 grams are required
per liter, and as I was able to purchase from Tri-Ess (found listed in the
back of PFP - thank you Judy!) one pound containers for something like $10,
I hardly think using the chloride too extravagant.

As for the use of drugstore hydrogen peroxide - I can't attest to its
effectiveness in Sudre's formula - it strikes me as rather too dilute. I
purchase 30 and 40 volume HO from the woman who cuts my hair and pay $7-8 a
gallon for it.... probably cheaper per gallon than the drugstore stuff.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes - Jon Bailey