Re: William Mortensen Mystery

From: Joseph Arkins (arkins@banet.net)
Date: 02/21/00-11:34:53 AM Z

Dennis:

The photographer who made the 8 mm. film may have been Grey Silva, an
amateur who studied with Mortensen late in his career. He lived in the
Los Angeles area, I believe, and wrote an article on the Metalchrome
process for the Photographic Society of America Journal in the
mid-to-late 1960s.

With regard to "pigment color", that may be carbro (in the Center for
Creative Photography's Mortensen book, there is one color portrait that
looks like a carbro), or perhaps a variant of Mortensen's monochrome
pigment process, which is described in Luis Nadeau's Gum
Dichromate/Direct Carbon book.

Hope this helps. . .

Joe Arkins
New York, NY