Re: pH Problem

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 02/22/00-09:06:46 PM Z

Ray Rogers wrote:

> Does anyone have any information on the pH of Crane's
> platinotype? I forget...are platinum prints best made
> on buffered, neutral or non-buffered paper?

The pH of the substrate does not seem to mater much, if at all. The
coating mixture will have a pH of 0.1 or less if even a little oxalic
acid is added (3 to 5 % oxalic acid is recommended, see my Guide for
details). Any buffering agent in the substrate will likely have
negligible effect.

Much more important concerns would be the sizing, the archival nature,
surface quality, wet strength, and imperfections (such as those that
cause spots).

The Crane's paper referenced is excellent for Pt/Pd (just make sure to
get the correct lot).

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/