Re: Fw: Fw: William Mortensen Mystery

From: Sil Horwitz (silh@earthlink.net)
Date: 02/22/00-09:36:48 PM Z

At 2000/02/22 06:39 PM -0800, Richard Knoppow wrote:
>Forwarded message snipped...
> If the Metalchrome process was patented it would be interesting to see
>the patent. In the absence of an actual patent number it would be helpful
>to know approximately when the patent was issued and to whome. The Los
>Angeles City public library has a pretty complete patent department so
>finding it is possible.

As Judy has noted, the March 1970 issue of the PSA Journal published
information on the complete process (it uses "factory" paper, toned, and
somewhat hand-colored), with the disclosure approved by Mrs Mortensen. In
fact, the Journal printed the exact "fact sheet" provided to students,
including the "non-disclosure" statement that users had to sign. If I have
time, I plan to print the article on the PSA Web site (somewhat condensed,
but with the fact sheet verbatim). There is no mention of a patent. (Please
note that Mortensen was not only a member of the Photographic Society of
America, but also had the honor of "FPSA" - Fellow of the Photographic
Society of America. This distinction is awarded only to those who are
active members of the Society, based on their work in art, in education,
and in lecturing, among other noteworthy accomplishments.)

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
teched@psa-photo.org
silh@earthlink.net