Re: Homemade paper and Luminos

From: Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Date: 02/24/00-08:56:22 AM Z

My experience with home made papers were 90% in palladium, but they may
help. The best size was "Herculon Dimmer" (spelling??) added to the
mixer/hollander a few seconds before the end of it's cycle. This is
available at the better handmade paper outlets (McDonald, Twinrocker).
Don't buy too much, as the concentrate goes bad over time. Allow the paper
to "set" after drying for a number of days.

But you mention a classroom setting, so this suggestion may not work. The
dimmer can also be applied by brush after drying. I think this worked well.
but was more work (for me) and thus I didn't use it much. Again, the paper
must "set" for a few days before use.

Gelatin on hand made paper worked for me with gum printing. But if you are
leaving fine feathery deckles on your handmade paper, it will change their
appearance. I've used arrowroot size on cloth (but not paper), perhaps
worth a try.

Hope that helps

--
Tom Ferguson