Re: Homemade paper and Luminos

From: Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Date: 02/24/00-09:14:06 AM Z

I treated my last post too literal. The question was about sizing, so I
answered only about size. But, that isn't the whole story with using
handmade paper and alt.

A BIGGGGG part of the story is how (and what type) your fibers are broken
down. In my experience, if you are using "halfstuff" and a blender, you
will get a rather rough sheet that absorbs too much for typical alt work no
matter what you do for sizing. The fiber of this type of paper are simply
too loose.

A much better papermaking machine is a hollander. They are big, expensive,
and loud. A blender tears and rips the fibers. A hollander crushes and
opens the fibers. Your "Hollander" paper will be much smoother, denser, and
easier to size. Also, I always had better luck adding some Abbaca to my
cotton papers for alt work.

If you don't have access to a hollander, you can buy cotton pulp with much
of the water removed form McDonald. To this add you internal size
(Herculon) and any other fiber you may want (Abbaca) in smaller quantities
mixed from your blender.