Enlarged negatives

Hello

Thanks to everyone who answered my recent query about the options for
getting larger negatives than 5x4".

I think I'll give the digital route a miss - mainly because I use computers
all day long, and I like to use photography as an excuse to get away from
them once in a while.

I suppose a larger camera makes the most sense, but I'm also curious about
using an enlarger to make, say 10x8" or larger negatives.  I think I could
make a 5x4" enlarger by using my monorail camera - add an Aristo cold light
source, and make a negative carrier.  However, before I go start testing
this route, I'd like to know the stages involved in making a larger neg by
enlargement.

Bearing in mind the original 5x4" negs are developed in Pyro and can be
quite dense in the highlights, what method would give me a 10x8" neg of
density and quality as close to the original as possible?  For example, is
it better to contact print the interneg, then enlarge this to the final
negative, or vice versa?  Also what film(s) are best, and would Pyro be a
good choice of developer for the final negative?

Thanks in advance

David Nash