Digital Negatives -- baby question

Jeff mentions:

......  The 256 restriction is from the 8-bit software such as Photoshop
that is currently available.  One of the greatest improvements to
Photoshop would be the increase of pixel depth in all functions, and
should be a serious consideration with today's faster computers.
=====================

I am currently scanning with a new scanner that has not yet found out it's
me and blown up... Apparently the software had 16 bit scanning as the
default. But when I got it into Photoshop, the program would inform me it
couldn't do a thing above 8 bits. So I changed the default.  For my
present purposes, which are pure black & white repro (scanned at 300 dpi)
I assume no difference, but I'd be curious for a REALLY elementary
explanation of what use the extra bits are -- for what is also monotone
scanning, I gather...

I assume I could circumvent this by staying in the software came with the
scanner, or the software Keith recommends from 3rd party, which I have not
yet accessed, but...

hoping to avoid new tricks !

Judy