Re: rubylith

> It would seem that rubylith is the ideal masking material for clean
>  edges on alternate process prints, but where do you find it?

Hi Carl,

All my local arts supply store which are close to university or colleges
carry them (full-size sheet). I don't know what the students are using it for
though. If you really can't get it locally, try
www.charrette.com

But what I use is something that I bought from a fabric store. I think it is
simply vinyl cloth. One side is shiny, another side is matte. The store
carries orange and black. I believe it is the same material that Dan called
masking film. I think it is also the same material advertised in photo supply
catalog as darkroom blackout cloth. It works by statics, so no adhesive
needed. You just put it on the window glass (or negative in this case), rub
it, and it clings very nicely!

For my use, I cut into L shape and use 2 L-shapes to mask a negative. I
really like the feel of it. If you need to reposition it, just peel it off
and re-rub. No chemical, no adhesive, real nice. I suspect it is also the
same think used in sign shop for vinyl signs. Since the vinyl also clings
nicely without any chemical, maybe you could just go to a local sign shop and
get some there too.

Since I bought it for my darkroom window, I have plenty leftover. If you want
to try it, just email me (offlist) your mailing address, and I will send some
to you (free of course. It is cheap! especially if you buy it from fabric
store instead of photo supply store.)

Dave S