Re: Permanency of VDB (test)

Judy,
You are quite correct. The smaller the particles the more surface area
exposed and therefore the greater the rate of undesirable chemical
reactions. Humidity and heat also contribute to the migration of silver
particles to the surface. These elements BTW contribute to
the deterioration of the image for all kinds of prints, including
nonsilver, except for platinum and carbon prints where the concern is
more for the deterioration of the substrait i.e. usually paper.

At the workshop we were shown slides of photoarchives in Europe where
rows and rows of freezers held photographic images.

I do agree with you last comment. After all, what good is art is
nobody gets to see it; however, since photography is printmaking,
I guess some prints could be put into frozen store and we could look at the
rest. When they deteriorate, we just thaw out some more.

Question: What would you call a frozen alt process print?

How about: Cyanosicle, Platinosicle, Gumsicle (sounds yummy),
           Vandyke Brownsicle (chocolate?), Bromoilsicle,
           Chrysosicle..... ans so on.  ;-)

Bob Schramm
Its my night so please don't act up.