Re: Permanency of VDB (test)

Sam Wang wrote:

> At 10:57 PM -0400 7/20/00, Robert W. Schramm wrote:
>
> >>Then theres the old, "Whats the best way to show a print? Under
> >>two inches of water." argument. If you could just devise a
> >>noninteractive coating that seals the image, absorbs UV light and
> >>looks like two inches of water, I, for one, would pay money for it.
>
> Well, Bob, we've gone over that too, awhile back - use Denglass, or
> generically called Museum Glass, which not only blocks most of the UV
> light, but also allows the print surface to show a clarity  almost as
> if no glass' there at all. It's expensive, but if you are glad to pay
> money for it... Use it in addition to some kind of protective
> coating, like wax or a colloid. Should work. Right?
>
> Sam

 More from Clerc Photography Theory and Practice:

The picture surface of a photographic print can be protected by causing
to adhere to it a transparent sheet of cellophane of the kind used for
packing food products. A sheet of collophane is distended by immersion
in cold water for at least five minutes and then applied to a glazing
plate. A print that has not been hardened it applied to it by its
gelatin surface. In the case of  a hardened print the gelatin is
softened by immersion for about ten minutes in tepid water, of which the
warmth must be in the proportion of the degree of hardening. The whole
is kept under pressure beneath some sheets of blotting paper until the
next morning when it is lifted by a corner and trimmed.

Hmmmmm , not to appealing to me. I enjoy the surface quality of alt
prints. I like to hold them in my hands. I think alot is lost when
viewed behind glass.

Walt