Re: Permanency of VDB (test)

On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Robert W. Schramm wrote:
> Also let me defend the europeans a little, Over there everyone does
> not own a car (or two or three). One gets around on a very well
> developed system of electric railways and msubways systems in the cities
> (also electric). Yes, I know, producing the electricity creates
> pollution, but on an per person basis it is much less polluting.
> How I wish we had such a system in this country. When I think of
> all the money I have spent on automobiles in my lifetime........ :-(

In this, mea non culpa -- I don't even have a driver's license. We once
did, BTW, have good mass transit, but goodyear and one of the big oil
companies persuaded towns to tear up the interurban tracks in the 20s, so
people would have to buy cars. That of course is commie propaganda, but
sounds about right, n'est-ce pas?  Certainly when I was a girl you could
get anywhere by bus & train. My daughter recently went to NorthHampton for
a project, no way in the world to get there but car.

I'd say come live in NYC, BTW, where the tap water is EXCELLENT for all
alt processes & you don't need a car, but unless you're prepared to live
on a subway grating... well rents are terrible. But there's still the near
periphery served by the subways... I got almost to Larry Gottheim's house
in Yonkers on the #1 train. And all have the same excellent-for-cyano
water. (Larry has AMAZING cyanotypes, which I'm trying to do justice to in
words & b&w, not easy.)

best,

Judy