Re: color of VanDyke/Longevity?

From: Andre Fuhrmann (Andre.Fuhrmann@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: 06/28/00-08:02:21 AM Z

>I'm curious what people have found about how long van dykes last?
>Has anyone done tests? I've heard that it should be as permanent as
>regular silver processes. Jamie

(Perhaps a recent message in which I reported my test didnt trickle
through to the list. So here it is again.) In December last year I
have taped a vandyke to my office window, facing the sun a couple of
hours every day (well, on a sunny day). I have covered half of the
print with black carton. As yet there is no visible diffence in the
image. I believe that the carton is NON-archival, containing
hopefully a good portion of acid. So I am testing also what happens
to a vandyke when in permanent contact with non-archival material
under substantial heat. So far nothing happened. That indicates a
good deal of permanence, certainly more than I would expect from a
well-processed baryta print.

Hope you take that as good news!
-- Andre