RE: color of VanDyke/Longevity?

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 06/28/00-11:08:48 AM Z

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Keith Gerling wrote:

> Thanks, Andre. My own tests, going on six months, offer similar findings.
> I'm curious about this bad reputation that Van Dykes and Kallitypes have.
> In perusing through the list archives, I notice skepticism concerning
> archivality, but nothing substantive. Can anybody point me to hard evidence
> that these silver processes lack permanence? Given the high cost of
> Palladium these days, it would be (extremely) welcome relief to be able to
> switch over to silver.

Keith, the first I heard was from Mike Ware who said the extremely fine
silver grains of VDB & I suppose kallitype, as well, would be more
susceptible to damage, which was apparently why he invented argyrotype,
about which we don't hear much these days. Ware allowed that some folks
seemed to do OK with the processes, others not. My own experience has
been, no trouble with VDB, but a weird problem with kallitype. My tests
and prints look fine, at least on casual examimation, but I printed a neg
for a friend, who promptly lost it in the morass. When it turned up maybe
2 years later, behind a bureau on the floor, it had a totally bleached
diagonal streak across the center about 1/4 inch wide, from what we could
not guess, but nearly to paper white -- making me leery of kallitype, for
all its charms.

But surely either is improved by gold of pd toning, much much cheaper than
pd printing.

Judy