fading Ware's cyanotypes

Hoping someone can help with this - I did a couple of Ware's version
cyanotypes this weekend, but after spending 15 minutes or so in a water
bath, they'd fading to a mere shadow of themselves, in a grey-slate tone.

What could this be caused by?  I just started a new paper (can't remember
the name right now) but from previous threads last fall I am wondering if
it's the water.  I haven't checked the pH of the water yet - should I be
looking for acid or akaline?  Or was it just the length of the water bath?
Kathryn Garrison