Re: Without Sanctuary

I'll put in my 2 cents worth about the lynching exhibition, too.

When I was 8 years old (!) I was handed 2 photographs of a lynching in
Indiana (they're included in the show) by an antique dealer friend of my
parents who had seen me sifting through his bin of old photos.  He said
something to the effect of, "You won't understand these now, but hang on to
them and you will later in your life."  What appalled me even then, apart
from the actualy lynching, was the look of glee on the faces of the white
spectators.  I never told my parents about the photos, and when I was a
student at the Art Institute of Chicago in the early '70's I photographed
them so I would always have a neg in case the prints got lost.

I have since learned, of course, about the history of these photos and
others like them, and am certain that receiving these as a young,
impressionable child fixed my course in the directions of both photography
and work in the human rights field.

My best to the group,

Jan Arnow

* Jan Arnow, Director
* * Institute for Intercultural Understanding
* * * P.O. Box 406769
* * * * Louisville, KY 40204-6769
* * * * * Phone and fax: 502-454-0607
* * * * * * Toll free:  888-757-0607
* * * * * * * email: jarnow@nomoreviolence.org
* * * * * * * * http://www.nomoreviolence.org

"Though I am different from you, we were born involved in one another."
                                                     T'ao Chien