Re: Epson or HP for alt-phot ... ? (some OT)

At 12:01 AM -0500 3/22/00, Jeffrey D. Mathias wrote:

>My main purpose for a digital negative is to accomplish the results of
>masking I have done by analog methods.  To this end the manipulation of
>various curves (highlights, shadows, and mid tones) is of prime
>importance.  The greatest advantage of the use of digital is that steps
>or decisions can be reversed or called back with a click.  By analog,
>once something is done, one must start over to change it.

Hi Jeff,

If I may extend this thread to masking a bit: you know how some
people use wax paper and pencil to make a hand drawn mask for contact
printing? How about making such a mask with the computer to lay over
the original negative in making any sort of contact prints? It seems
to me that using a digital mask to "help" an analog negative has a
lot of potentials, at least until "desktop digital negatives" gets
much better. Also, the authentic nature of the camera negative will
not be lost. I wonder if you or anyone else has done that?

Sam Wang