Re: Epson or HP for alt-phot ... ? (some OT)

>If I may extend this thread to masking a bit: you know how some
>people use wax paper and pencil to make a hand drawn mask for contact
>printing? How about making such a mask with the computer to lay over
>the original negative in making any sort of contact prints? It seems
>to me that using a digital mask to "help" an analog negative has a
>lot of potentials, at least until "desktop digital negatives" gets
>much better. Also, the authentic nature of the camera negative will
>not be lost. I wonder if you or anyone else has done that?
>
>Sam Wang

Hi Sam,

I've been using this technique for a couple of years.  It's simple and
effective.
In a nutshell:
1.  I scan my 8 x 10 negative
2.  Use Photoshop select area of the negative to be manipulated
3.  Use Curve function to chamge contrast
4.  Use Guassian Blur to blur the mask
5.  Print the mask, sandwich the negs, and off we go!

I'm curious though.  What do you mean by "the authentic nature of the camera
negative will not be lost"?  How much digital manipulation DO you allow
before the "authenticity" is lost?