Re: Epson or HP for alt-phot ... ? (some OT)

> Although I
>  greatly appreciate the work accomplished by Dan Burkholder, Dave Fokos,
>  and others, I am attempting a different approach.  Not better, maybe not
>  worse, but different.

Hi Jeff,

If we want the same straightforward scanning to printing (that is, matching
our negatives to Pt/Pd or whatever process w/o personal preference in
deliberate change of tonality) but we use different approaches to achieve
them, then it doesn't matter whether we do it with Burkholder's, Foko's,
Mathias', Soemarko's or whatever method, we will get mathematical
equivalences. None is better or worse than another.

>  Some of the differences follow:
>  No monitor calibration is needed.

For direct scan to output calibration without online image editing, monitor
calibration is not needed. Strictly speaking, the monitor does not even need
to exists (if we can remember what key to punch in).

However, if one wants to do some kind of image editing (burning, dodging,
etc), then it is good to have the monitor calibrated to at least approximate
the look of the final print. One can try to do all numerical approach
(associating a tone with an rgb value, but the final effect is difficult to
judge until printed).

>  Levels define the maximum range of black and white (0% and 100%, not 5%
>  and 95%).

There are problems with using full range. First there is physical problem,
but it depends on your output media. If it can support separation from 95% to
100%, then you can of course use it; but there is also problem with tone
mapping. Remember rgb value correspond to density in a log fashion, so
"linear" steps would be rgb = 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, etc. Now you can see that if
you increase the level by 1, you don't change the highlight much but you
completely change the shadow by one step! What is not apparent to many is
that when you are using say 5% to 95% (and calibrate accordingly), you are
actually using a different gamma so that the distribution of highlights and
shadows are more even linearly in rgb. This is getting too much to discuss in
this list, so I will stop here. Those interested can check Photoshop or other
digital scanning/printing newsgroups or mailing list.

Also, you want to avoid using 100% (or rgb=0), that is because the gamma
function (the slider that you can drag in the "level" dialog box) does not
change rgb=0. Gamma is a nice function that changes tonality "exactly" like
zone compression / expansion. But if rgb=0 is used and the value cannot be
changed, you might get ugly spots on shadow.

>  Curves are determined sort of backwards by adjusting the scanned
>  information to give a known, calibrated print value (not using a
>  calibration image).

Yes, what you are doing is closed-loop calibration which is basically the
same thing as working with tone-reproduction curves except that you use rgb
values rather than density values. For example, original subjects -->
original subjects, densities of negatives --> rgb values of digital camera,
densities of photographic prints --> densities of digital print). The concept
is exactly the same.

As in traditional pictorial (pictorial as opposed to scientific in this
context) photography, the desired reproduction curve is not really linear. So
whether we do it traditionally or digitally, we will need to find the desired
curve. Because of human vision, the desired mapping basically has something
to do with curves for the tones of shadows to midtone and curve for the tones
from midtone to highlight. In digital, of course we can go finer and work on
1/4 tone, midtone, and 3/4 tone, and that should be well enough for our
purposes.

It is nice to go through all this once as it is challenging, satisfying, and
educating; but as I posted about 2 weeks ago, after you are done, you might
get something that Photoshop is already giving you although finding that in
itself is not bad.  :-)

Dave Soemarko

*****     See Soemarko's Direct Carbon (SDC) prints at
*****     http://hometown.aol.com/fotodave/SDC/