Re: Mix your own FO?

Nick,  If you had learn to make noble prints ( my way to cover the whole
spectrum of prints that use platinum, palladium, + others, using either
traditional ferric oxalate or ammonium ferric oxalate and all the combinations
in between) you are used to adding Potassium Chlorate to your ferric oxalate to
make B.  Many on this list have been looking and finding other ways to control
contrast within their prints.  The solutions (in this case answers - not
liquids) that have been used include Dichromate solutions, H2O2 , both of these
added to either the coating solution or the develop, and  different developers
and at various concentration and temperatures.  Why all the looking?  Potassium
chlorate has a tendency to create gain. This varies from print to print based on
what else is in the coating solution.  I have not been using a B solution for
quite some time.  You can make a separate solution of Potassium Chlorate to add
to your coating solution, and this will give you better results and waste less A
to make B that goes bad!  Potassium Chlorate will degrade over time giving you
less contrast, you have no doubt smelled the chlorine out gassing when you have
opened your B bottles.  Mix fresh Potassium Chlorate more often and you will
find a more consistent result from its use.  You might even have several
different concentrations to adjust to various amounts of platinum or palladium
used.

Now are you more confused?  I hope not.  Needless to say, I am not a big fan of
Pot Chlorate.

Now I see that you asked about #1 and #2, please substitute A and B.

--
Eric J. Neilsen
4101 Commerce Street, Suite #9