Gum vs. Kallitype

I'm trying to print kallitype over Gum Bichromate, and I'm having problems
with the gum softening and flowing off of the paper.  Basically, this is the
procedure:

1.  Rives BFK or Fabriano Artistico is shrunk, sized, and hardened in
glyoxal.
2.  Anywhere from 1 to 7 coats of gum are applied.
3.  Kallitype layer is applied and developed in Sodium Acetate.
4.  Cleared in mixture of hypo and EDTA
5.  1 minute swish in Heico Permawash
6.  Washed in cold water.

At step six, the gum is starting to flow off of the paper.  I'm thinking
that the Permawash might be the culprit, but I thought I would see if
anybody else has experienced this or has any other ideas on what might be
happening.