Re: Gum vs. Kallitype

>1.  Rives BFK or Fabriano Artistico is shrunk, sized, and hardened in
>glyoxal.
>2.  Anywhere from 1 to 7 coats of gum are applied.
>3.  Kallitype layer is applied and developed in Sodium Acetate.
>4.  Cleared in mixture of hypo and EDTA
>5.  1 minute swish in Heico Permawash
>6.  Washed in cold water.
>
>At step six, the gum is starting to flow off of the paper.  I'm thinking
>that the Permawash might be the culprit ...

Permawash, I take it, is a washaid.  Washaids usually contain soda.  Soda
attacks gelatine.  With standard silver prints this is not much of a
problem as the gelatine is fairly tough and will survive a minute or two
(but try 5 or even 10 minutes!).  Glyoxal, however is not a very effective
hardener.  My advice: Clear the gum print in alun (may take 30 minutes or
more) -- this will further harden the gelatine.  Then let it rest for a
couple of days.  Omit step 5 and extend step 6.

Andre