Re: One process over another

It has been interesting reading the posts about combining two
processes since it is one of my favorite ways to print.

I realize, however, that I may be doing this somewhat differently from
what others are reporting.  I think others are talking about using the
same negative (or perhaps differently exposed negatives for highlights and
shadows) for the two processes used.  I sometimes do this, but more often
I print one process with the negative and the other process with the
positive.  The gum on top of either cyan or VD seems to change the
character of the original print, but I don't see the dichromate as
bleaching out the silver of the VD.  There was also a question about
gelatin interferring; since I don't size, there isn't any gelatin in the
mix for me, so I can't comment on this.

As for VD over cyan, I have one successful print: two very different
negatives one printed in VD and one in cyan producing a rather surreal
composite.  I have never been able to duplicate this.  Usually, as soon as
I apply the top coat, the original image disappears.  A few days ago, I
tried again, and the coating went fine.  However, when I put the print in
the wash after the second exposure, practically everything washed
out.  For me, using gum for the second coat is the way to go.

Suzanne