B&W Infra Red 101

In Northern Michigan there's a gang (pride?, clump?) of poets, storytellers
and misfits that sit around a campfire and tell stories and poems about
mis-fitting.  Several people have tried to shoot them, (most with a camera)
to the point that they don't like flash going off all of the time.  I tried
shooting p3200 rated at 6400 with a 1.2  50mm lens with dissappoining
results.

Would IR  film be beneficial?  Since it's at night, I've already proven there
is little visable light around, so I wouldn't need a filter and I'm not
looking for the IR effect anyway. To set the scene, most people are about
10-20 feet away from a bon-fire that varies from a small 1 foot flame to 3 or
4 feet tall. Suggestions for exposures would be helpful. A long time ago
somebody told me they got decent accuracy  using a luna pro rating at ISO
3000 and putting an 87 filter over the cell.  Would this hold true in this
situation?

since I live in the city and two blocks from the fire station, it would be
very difficult and expensive to try  a  "field conditions film test", so I'd
have to shoot from the hip once I got there.

A few years back I thought Sunpack made a modular flash that had an Infra Red
flash tube,  not just IR sensing for AF cameras., anybody know A) what the
model was and B) if it worked at all.

Les