odd result with cyanotype

Just thought this was worth a mention - I'd been having trouble with Ware's
cyanotypes, and as several people recommended I changed to a cheaper
paper.  It was a success!

However, I was experimenting with double coating and the paper just
couldn't take it.  It's a somewhat slick card stock and the foam brush I
was using abraded the paper.  I exposed it anyway and it took longer to
expose than the previous one.  The strange thing was, when I dropped it in
the water bath, it suddenly got a whole heck of a lot darker!  The image
was more or less perfect before the bath - then suddenly the highlights are
in the mid-tone range!

I was able to rescue the image by spraying with a dilute ammonia solution
(which in a Ware's cyanotype changes the color only temporarily, and
generally bleaches the image) and washing for a REALLY long time.  The
highlights are sort of yellow but I like it.  I'll scan the image for the
Rocky Mountain Photographers Forum for the April gallery - it will probably
be up next week - if anyone wants to see this image. http://rmp.opusis.com/

Kathryn Garrison