Re: Viruses posted to the list...

From: Editor - P.O.V. Image Service (editor@p-o-v-image.com)
Date: 05/04/00-10:37:16 AM Z

Les Newcomer wrote:

> "Editor - P.O.V. Image Service" wrote:If someone posts a virus to the list
>
> > AND they do not have virus software installed on their machine that is
> > up-to-date within reason...
>
> >From what was disscussed on Morining edition, the I Love you virus, once
> opened,

Yup, not when the e-mail is opened but when someone opens the attachment...

> automatically sends itself out to all emails in the the host
> addressbook, second Symentec is expected to have a fix on this by this
> afternoon. which means the above statement is useless. The most upto date
> virus protection did not find this virus, which is why ABC London, and the
> London stock exchange were hit. You can't tell me they are without "up to
> date" virus protection.

Umm.. Well obviously, someone at each location was ignorant enough to invoke a
VB Script they had no idea about...

Having worked as a computer security admin, those individuals could legally be
held responsible on the systems I administered... It's negligence to run
something without knowing both its source AND what it is meant to actually
do..

In fact, if you read back to my first post on this, before I was even aware it
was a virus, I indicated how foolish one would have to be to open the
script...

The fact that up-to-date virus protection di not catch it does not make the
statement useless...

All it means is that IN THIS INSTANCE no-one would be directly liable for
resending it...

However, I might point out that the PrettyPark worm virus, the last one posted
to the list WAS ALREADY a known virus...

So, we can't stop the unknown or unexpected...

That doesn't mean we should drive our motorcycles around at 60 mph with NO
HELMET when the danger is acknowledged and real.. If we get hit by a rock in
the head at 60 mph in such a circumstance, and cause an accident which injures
others thereby, when the helmet would likely have prevented the whole
sequence, we are morally, ethically, and financially liable...

Oh yeah, and I might note that "Symantec is expected to have an update out
this afternoon"... If that's of no import, i.e. if the software is of little
value, why add the update, or even more, why tell us...?

I might also add that one has to be relatively ignorant of computing basics to
run a Visual Basic Script that comes to them in the mail, unless they know
both the sender and WHAT the script is meant to do...

It's akin to a child randomly pushing buttons when left unattended in their
parents car..

AND I WILL SUE THE HECK OUT OF ANYBODY WHO IS THE PROXIMATE SOURCE OF A VIRUS
THAT DESTROYS ANYTHING ON MY SYSTEM, IF THE IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING SENDER WAS
NEGLIGENT OR RECKLESS..

If you don't like that, too bad!

Keith

--
{       The views expressed in the preceding are those of the        }
{       author, alone, and  are neither the responsibility of,        }