RE: Developing 4x5 negatives

From: Wayde Allen (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)
Date: 05/09/00-10:46:22 AM Z

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Eric Boutilier-Brown wrote:

> The answer, from my experience, is yes, you can delay processing film for
> months at a time. I have occasionally let sheet film sit for week and even a
> month or two, before processing. I also know personally a photographer show
> shoots 5x7 all year, and then processes in the fall and winter - some of his
> film would be 8-10 months old by the time he processes it. While the film
> may indeed change some over a few months, it is not enough to bother me, or
> the other fellow I know, who is an excellent printer, and a photographer at
> a well reputed Art College.
>
> I have only encountered one problem with this method of working - once there
> was a piece of grit or dirt in the "exposed" box which scratched seriously
> two negs (one on the base, one on the emulsion) - I would be VERY careful
> when you unload, to ensure the film and box are as clean as possible.

I would second your comments. I've developed film immediately after
exposing as well as many months after exposing, and can't say I've ever
noticed any significant changes. My worst case experience was a roll of
old 620 film that I took in grade school and found about 15 years
later! That one had lost some overall contrast, but otherwise developed
fine. In general I think B&W film is reasonable stable stuff.

- Wayde
  (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)