Re: Digital question

From: Jack Fulton (jfulton@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Date: 05/17/00-10:05:43 AM Z

Re printers et al and Corky's queries.

My printer is the Epson 3000 w/Lysonic "E" set or the Luminos Platinum
as is sold by them.
I use my school's Aquarelle hot or cold press watercolor paper and the
Epson Super A3 Super B ink jet papers for proofing. For finish I use the
Somerset Photo Enhanced. Prints stuck in my studio window for nearly two
months exhibit no fading.

The 3000 is an excellent product and provides an excellent print.
Certain photographic nuances cannot be obtained but photographic reality
is assured.

Epson has not yet announced, but will near the end of August, the 7500
which will print up to 24" wide, have six inks and will print readily on
various surfaces and the NEW ink set will have a longevity (according to
Epson) of 200 years. Everything else, if this is correct, will be
knocked out of the market.

This printer will sell for $5k and on the street for $4k. This is what
I'd buy. Invest the money and it will be there for decade or more.

Scanners:
Microtek Scanmaker 6 will do an excellent job, and do a credible job on
35mm but better on 6x6 and up to 8x10.
A professional photog friend scanned his shot of a kitchen from his
Hasselblad and was working on it to remove a black spot on the kitchen
wall and zooming in found it to be a fly. That is good enough for me.

So …… cost being important.
A G4 w/2 hard discs of 20 gig apiece, rage card, 512 megs of RAM, an Orb
drive, one meg of level 2 cache and a Mitubishi 19" graphics monitor
is $3200

Epson
7500 is
$4000

Microtek Scanmaker 5 is $1600

Total investment is $8800

This is a lot of money for anybody.
If it were invested, I'd say you could make prints for ten years. That
is $900 a year.

Hope this is interesting to someone.

Jack Fulton