Re: Curves for digital Negatives with Epsons

From: Editor - P.O.V. Image Service (editor@p-o-v-image.com)
Date: 05/26/00-09:28:11 AM Z

edzachary wrote:

> Apples and oranges, Keith. "Profiling" and "curves" are very different concepts. In Photoshop, profiling is the act of changing ink settings and this is done in FILE/COLOR SETTINGS.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about that..

Agreed, the two are quite different...

However, the difference in the two printers is what I said I would be very careful about depending upon the profile for one to produce good results in the other...

Where I may have been mistaken, and I don't have the original posts, is whether the poster intended to use the 1270 profiles for his 1200.. I know one poster said that he thought they
were the same machine..

> In theory, if the correct profiles are in place, identical prints could be produced on different printers using the SAME curves.

That, as I understand it is exactly the reason for profiles..

To ensure consistent and predictable output across varying hardware..

OK, if the poster was referring to using the curves, and has reliable profiles already for his 1200 (assuming arguendo that the 1270 user who did the PT digital neg output had and used
accurate profiles him/herself), then I would say go for it!

In fact, I would probably give it a try myself even if the preceding were not true... One can always tweak the CURVES to take advantage of one's particular output device or to make-up
for a lack of profile from some device in the chain.. Of course, then you end up with a whole new set of curves..

Thanks for pointing out the fact that I was tending to blur the distinction between the two..

Keith

--
{       The views expressed in the preceding are those of the        }
{       author, alone, and  are neither the responsibility of,        }