Re: photo history lecture

bmaxey1@juno.com
Date: 11/03/00-04:39:10 PM Z

>He's talented with a camera and strobe, but no more so that hundreds of
>other studio photographers. And the capture of "black skin" is more of
an
>accomplishment for Tom Baril, who did his printing.
>>
>>I think we all know that you
>>can't do anything with a thin neg.
>>
>>It takes some amount of skill,
>>and some knowledge of zone system,
>>in order to get texture in both
>>high and low lights.

The first part of the post above is dead on. More often or not, it is the
printer that makes the photograph. I have seen many images that were made
by the printer, not the photographer. As for the comments about black
skin, not a big deal if you understand you film and what can be done in
the lab. Yes, we all know what can and can't be done with a thin neg and
it is not always a requirement to use the Zone System; a system I never
use.

Texture in the highlights shadows demand much more than relying upon some
system. It takes dodging, burning, paper choice, developer choice, how
the film is processed.

I think for any photographer that gets mentioned as being good or
wonderful, their printer DEMANDS consideration as well.

Bob