Re: Buxton paper

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 11/05/00-08:55:37 AM Z

Subject: Re: Buxton paper

> Can you describe the paper in detail? Does it have a watermark within the
> paper? What is its thickness and surface like and what is it made from?

There is no water mark I have found, however I have received only two 8x10
samples.

> If it was designed by M. Ware, chances of finding it without going
> through him are slight.

No so. This is available from an independent paper maker in the UK, but it
is very expensive.

> However, there might be a source for something
> similar and with the same characteristics. Last time I updated my paper
> database, I had thousands of papers from hundreds of vendors, and that
> was several years ago. More papers made these days.

Their might be but my sense is that this is a niche product which is not
likely to made by a large manufacturer.

I haven't used my sample yet, I have it squrrieled away for a Cyanotype test
someday soon I hope. It has a soft texture and is a medium weight paper with
a bright white (not extremely bright) color, which would probably work very
well for Cyanotype. It looks and feels as though it might be very absorbent
so it might not be a good paper for precious metal printing (but then again
it might be great depending on what you want).

Wish I could tell you more.

Don Bryant