Re: Buxton paper

From: 1232-553-1 (1232-553@onlinehome.de)
Date: 11/05/00-09:09:44 AM Z

Hi everybody

Pls. find enclosed some information Mike Ware had send me very
kindfully off list (Mike - many many thanks for this extensive mail!).

I copied most information directly from his mail and will add only this:
I never had a paper of this fine quality - looking like the 300 years old
papers for fine handwritings and beeing suitable for platinium and carbon
(the latter only with extra sizing). With carbon, extra sizing doesn't
change the character and surface appearence of the paper as significant
as it will do with most other papers.

The paper was handmade to Mikes specification by Ruscombe Mill / UK,
which moved to France, years ago. They can still make the paper and there
have been one or two makings this year, in response to demand as Mike told.

He didn't test this recent product and as he is not involved in
manufacturing
and distribution of this product he gave the following adress / contact:

Chris Bingham
Ruscombe Paper Mill
4 Cours Pey Berland
33460 Margaux
Gironde
France

Tel: +33 5 5788 7377
Fax: +33 5 5788 7392

The wholesaler and distributor in the UK is:

John Purcell Paper
15 Rumsey Road
London
SW9 0TR

Tel: +44 (0)171 737 5199
Fax: +44 (0)171 737 6765
e-mail: jpp@cix.co.uk

Jeremy Youngs should be responsible for this product at JPP, but
they normaly only sell a minimum of 500 sheets - only when paper is
on stock they might supply it in smaller quantities, down to 25 sheets.

There might be other distributers in certain regions (Europe / the States)
I puchased the paper years ago from Kontraste / K. H. Klang (germany)
but last time I've asked, he had only a few sheets for inlab use only.
If anybody in germany is interested, pls let me know as I will check
availability.

Technical specifications should be given on the Ware-homepage
http://www.mikeware.demon.co.uk

Additionally to that Mike wrote the following:

> The paper sheet is Imperial size (i.e. slightly larger than 30x22" or
> 760x560 mm). You can find the detailed specification on my Web pages
> (URL below). There are four deckle edges, being handmade; it is of
> course very expensive!
> It is not a very smooth, calendered paper - it has only been
> cold-pressed between felts, so has a distinct 'tooth' - approximating to
> a 'NOT' surface. I suppose it could be calendered - and we have found
> that running the sheet thru' an etching press in contact with a clean
> perspex ('Plexiglass') sheet under high pressure does flatten the
> surface, makes it much easier to coat, and firms up the high densities.
> However, I personally like the texture as it is.

Kind Regards
Stefan