Re: pre-wash Arches Platine for Pt/Pd printing?

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 11/05/00-01:54:29 PM Z

Mark,

It's not clear exactly what you mean by "graining" but here are a couple
potential problems with Platine. First, contrasting agents seem to cause
gritty results at lower concentrations than with some other papers. I
can't use dichromate as a contrast agent with this paper without seeing
grain. Best to make negatives that print without chlorate or dichromate.
Second, Platine loves high humidity: 65%-70% will probably give you
better results than the 50% you mention--though 50% is very good for
Crane Cover. I consistently get extremely smooth results from pure
palladium prints with no contrasting agents on Platine worked at fairly
high humidity and developed in plain potassium oxalate, either room
temperature or heated.

A final problem is occassional mottling or loss of adhesion at so fine a
level that it really only shows up when inspected under magnification. A
bad case of this could look like a sort of graining. I think the problem
comes from inconsistent or uneven distribution of the internal sizing
and I don't know any cure for a batch of paper showing this problem.
I've never had it be more than a once in a while problem.

---Carl

--
Website with online galleries and workshop information at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cweese/