pre-wash Arches Platine for Pt/Pd printing?

From: ARCHIVAL PRINTS (archivalprints@home.com)
Date: 11/05/00-01:09:27 PM Z

Repeated frustration with graining problems using Arches Platine led me
to abandon this paper for Pt/Pd printing until I saw an exhibit of Kenro
Izu's beautiful Cambodian Temple prints. Apparently he pre-washes
Arches Platine in water, dries it and then coats it etc.

I have tried this with great results (almost as good as with Crane's
Platinotype) but this renders a time consuming process even more so (5
two minute washes followed by screen drying prior to coating).

I print Crane's Platinotype (mostly from 16X20 enlarged negatives) using
glass rod coating initially to spread the sensitizer solution followed
by completing the job with a soft watercolor wash brush. Results with
this method on this paper are uniformly excellent. My lab is temperature
and humidity controlled (always 50-55% RH) and therefore the environment
is ideal and consistent year round.

Are there any suggestions/tricks/techniques regarding coating to deal
with the graining issue with Arches Platine? Does it depend on what
developer one uses (potassium oxalate or ammonium citrate?). What are
your experiences with this paper and how have you made it work for you?

Regards from the frozen north,
Mark Nowaczynski,
Toronto, Canada