Re: archival attachment to aluminum

From: Sil Horwitz (silh@earthlink.net)
Date: 11/25/00-01:52:11 PM Z

At 2000/11/25 12:17 PM -0700, Ken wrote:
>While I have never had the need to so do, I came across this formula on
>page 360 of the 1957 British Journal Photographic Almanac
>
>Fixing paper to Metal
>
>Tragacanth 60 g
>Gum Arabic 240g
>Water 1000 cc
>
>Now If I could just figure out what "Tragacanth" is.....

That should be "Gum Tragacanth" a commonly used colloid in the food
industry, but seemingly difficult to obtain at retail! As I don't know the
characteristics that make the gums differ, it seems odd to me that both
should be specified. In any event, this solution is wonderful food for
bacteria and fungus, so a preservative will be required if it's not to be
used within a couple of days.

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
teched@psa-photo.org